Many if not most of you out there are involved in some sort of fandom. And I'm sure if I polled you on the purpose of fandom, I'd get a variety of answers. To share a common interest. To critique the material involved. To predict plot developments. To write lots and lots of slash.
But no. I have figured it out.
The purpose of fandom is to give fans a place to bitch about the characters they don't like, that no one likes, that were a lousy idea in the first place, that only exist so fans will be able to unite in their hatred.
- The Homicide fandom bitches about Falsone. (Remember the "I Hate Falsone" webpage?)
- The Law and Order fandom bitches about Serena.
- The Law and Order: SVU fandom bitches about Casey.
- The Smallville fandom bitches about Lana.
- The Lord of the Rings fandom bitches about Arwen.
- The Star Trek: TNG fandom bitches about Wesley Crusher.
- The X-Files fandom bitches about Chris Carter. (No, he's not fictional... but that just goes to show you, truth is stranger than fiction.)